(Photo | Courtesy of Bend Chamber)
The Bend Chamber of Commerce is seeking applications for the first cohort of the Bend Lifetime Leaders Program. The application period closes on May 10, 2019.
Designed for retired individuals who seek to share their wealth of experience in a significant capacity, Bend Lifetime Leaders will help participants develop a vision for the next chapter in their lives and ignite their unique leadership potential. Each session’s environment will be one of peer-learning and facilitated discussions with two outstanding instructors, Jim Schell and Tom Carlsen, MD. Outside speakers and hands-on exercises will allow for active engagement on class days.
“Central Oregon is filled with talented individuals who have retired here from all over the country,” said program instructor Jim Schell. “Bend Lifetime Leaders allows them to learn about Bend’s unique challenges, opportunities and culture and then invest their decades of experience within our community.”
Applicant Kathy Sabatier perfectly captured the spirit and intent of the Lifetime Leader Program, when she remarked, “I am so pleased to have relocated to Bend, and, even nine months in, I feel like fit here. Because this is a new permanent home, it is important for me to make meaningful connections and contributions. I see retirement not as a retreat into idleness, but as a time in life when I have more freedom to choose how to spend my time. I am pleased to be nearer to my children and grandchildren and enjoy helping them to grow and develop. I would like to contribute to the growth and development of Bend as well.”
As part of the program, participants will:
- Explore the concept of lifetime leadership
- Understand the nature of local government and community collaborations
- Define passion and purpose for community service and volunteering
- Look outward to the Bend community for opportunities for civic awareness, community engagement and volunteer connections.
- Build a personal network of community-minded colleagues
- Join a network of over 500 Leadership Bend program graduates over 26 years — from business, government and nonprofit sectors
Between June 5 and August 14, class members will meet every other week for a total of five sessions of three hours each. Tuition is $300, and includes all required materials.
For information and to apply go to bendchamber.org/lifetime-leaders or call Talena Barker at 541-382-3221.