It is a privilege to drive a company car. Aside from not paying gas using your own money, you won’t worry about wear and tear or repairs. The employer will shoulder everything. Employers offer such benefits to top-notch or loyal employees of the company.
Of course, if you’re an employer and one of your employees is involved in a car accident, you surely have accountability. Whether you’re an employer or an employee, learn what to do if this event happens by reading below.
Ensure the Safety and Well-being of Your Employee
Regardless of the situation, you should show concern towards your employee who is involved in the car crash. Make sure that medical attention is provided, including all recommended laboratory exams and imaging studies to check for internal bleeding, spinal cord injury, broken bones, or ruptured blood vessels.
Consult a Car Accident Lawyer Immediately
As an employer, you have a responsibility to your employees. It also includes the victims of the accident because the vehicle is company-owned. For employees, you don’t want to end up being the one at fault in a car crash when you’re only performing your duties. That’s why hiring a trusted, reputable, and experienced Houston car accident lawyer is crucial.
Here are some tips and tricks when choosing a car accident lawyer:
- Ask if the lawyer has already handled a similar case to yours, wherein a company vehicle and an employee were involved in a car accident.
- Choose someone who is also knowledgeable about driving under the influence (DUI) and employment laws, most especially if your employee has been drunk while driving. You can do this by checking the lawyer’s client testimonials and cases handled in the past.
- Choose one who is available locally and one who belongs to a trusted and reputable law firm.
Know Your Responsibilities and the Next Steps
A car accident attorney will help you become aware of the next steps you have to do. Your lawyer will guide you on the data or evidence you need to collect to help your employees and preserve the excellent reputation of your company. At the same time, you also want to know the impact of the car accident to your future business decisions, such as getting more comprehensive insurance.
Here are the good-to-know things you have to keep in mind:
- Based on the doctrine of “respondeat superior” or “vicarious liability,” the employer is responsible for all the actions of the employees. It includes non-actions or negligent acts during work or their scope of employment.
- One example is a truck driver who delivers goods during business hours and failed to apply the brake at a red light and collided with another vehicle. Here, the employer is likely to be liable because your employee was fulfilling the scope of their duties.
- For employees, it’s essential to ask your employer about the insurance policy available if it includes collision coverage that can extend to employees. You’ll likely want to make all terms clear with your employer early.
Contact Your Insurance Company
It is the employer’s obligation to notify the insurance company as soon as possible. Make sure to get a clear explanation of the policy that covers the incident. In that way, you can get compensation as early as possible to pay for the hospitalization and property damages caused by the car accident.
Here are some ways a car accident lawyer can help employers and employees when dealing with a car accident:
- A car accident lawyer will make sure to collect enough evidence to prove your claim, such as a police report, medical report, and interviews of witnesses. Also, your lawyer will help you establish a strong defense should the case be raised in court.
- An employer will be helped to identify if the car accident happened within the scope of employment or fulfillment of duty, or whether it happened outside of work hours, during a vacation, or doing other errands or activities beyond the employee’s job description.
- If you’re an employee, you can ask the car accident lawyer to help you prove that the accident didn’t happen because of a crime like driving while intoxicated or DWI. In that way, you can seek worker’s compensation benefit by filing a claim through your employer’s insurance company.
All employees and employers have duties and responsibilities to fulfill when there’s an untoward incident, like a car accident. That’s why hiring a personal injury lawyer, or an accident lawyer is essential. In that way, you’ll be guided accordingly on the right steps you have to do to ensure your rights and best interests are protected.