The local organization brings attention to the fact that low income households spend a disproportionate percentage of their annual incomes on home energy bills. The National Network of Weatherization Assistance Programs, which NeighborImpact is a member of, provides cost-effective, permanent solutions for reducing the heavy energy burden these families endure.
These weatherization programs not only save energy through advanced technologies to improve the energy affordability for low-income families, but also save lives and improve the health and safety of families by identifying carbon monoxide hazards, poor indoor air quality, mold, and other health threats.
With support from the US Department of Energy, more than 6.7 million homes have been weatherized across the nation since 1976. Below are some statistics supporting the benefits of home weatherization practices;
• For every $1 invested, weatherization returns $2.51 to the household and society
• $437 or more in annual utility bill savings year after year at current energy prices
• Energy savings average 35 percent of consumption for the typical low-income home pre-weatherization consumption
• Weatherization decreases national energy consumption by the equivalent of 24.1 million barrels of oil annually
• Reduces residential and power plant emissions of carbon dioxide by 2.65 metric ton per year per home
• Over the life of the corrective measures, saves 53 metric tons of CO2 emissions per house
The NeighborImpact Weatherization Program serves Crook, Deschutes and
Since 1985, NeighborImpact has been a leader in developing solutions and bringing resources to Crook, Jefferson and
To learn more about NeighborImpact please visit www.neighborimpact.org.