(Two Security Pros officers directing traffic at Drake Park | Photo courtesy of Security Pros, Inc.)
For 25 years, Security Pros Inc. has been considered the City of Bend’s original, locally owned security services provider. Founded as Serenity One Security in 1994, the company had another set of owners in 1997 until Brian and Dianna Shawver bought the company in 2002 and changed the name to Security Pros. The company currently offers night time patrols of businesses, construction site watch, alarm response and private corporate security.
Brian, a Portland native, has lived in Bend since 1984 and his wife, Dianna has been in Bend since 1975. The two have undoubtedly seen many changes to this part of Central Oregon — especially the rise and types of crimes being committed.
“The security landscape has changed throughout the nation. Many more applications needing armed security exist in Central Oregon now than when we were founded in 1994. I’ve always said that when the market demands, we will supply. I’ve received more calls for armed security in the past year than we have received in the previous ten years, so the need is clearly there,” says Shawver.
In recent years, Security Pros has upgraded their technology, grown their fleet and improved their management teams. While the number of employees has fluctuated, the company has had up to 60 employees at one time.
Recent updates include:
• A cloud based Guard Tour Management System, allowing the company to manage the officer’s security patrols and ensuring total client work accountability.
• Sophisticated electronic reporting to clients including photos and video evidence.
• EVS, or the Electronic Verification System, provides checkpoint verification and accountability for where security officers are at all times.
• Dash Cameras are in all 11 of Security Pros’s vehicles.
• Winter-ready vehicles so that security can continue through a major storm.
• Two street-legal golf carts used to patrol the Old Mill District.
• Creating a dedicated operations manager position to manage the entire
field operation. This alone created a higher level of officer performance.
Beyond patrolling and working with local authorities on keeping Bend safe for its residents, the Shawver’s are committed to local outreach with professional and nonprofit groups.
Brian is currently a board member of the Greater Bend Rotary Club, founded in 1976. The Greater Bend Rotary is directly involved with international projects such as providing and an X-ray machine to a hospital in Guatemala and helping to eradicate the polio virus globally. On the local level, the Rotary has helped to provide a commercial kitchen at Bethlehem Inn and help with construction on a vocational training facility at the J Bar J Youth Services complex. Security Pros’s charitable giving goes to programs and higher learning scholarships that are facilitated by the Greater Bend Rotary and they participate in the Bend Christmas Parade every year.
To commemorate its 25th Anniversary, Security Pros is planning appreciations for their clients, employees and suppliers to thank them for their years of loyalty, trust and wonderful relationships.