People are becoming increasingly conscious about their health and the need to have properly aligned teeth that not only assure oral health, but also the perfect smile. A number of malocclusions are commonly found in people including crowded teeth, gapped teeth, overbites, crossbites, and underbites. Among these, crowded teeth can become a major problem, and are sometimes even hereditary. However, you needn’t worry too much as they are quite easy to fix with clear aligners.
What are crowded teeth?
They are misalignments that include overcrowded and crooked teeth and can sometimes even be seen from the young age of 5 years. Some of the reasons why crowded and crooked teeth develop include the following:
- Childhood habits such as thumb sucking, reverse swallowing and mouth breathing
- When the jaw is too small for accommodating all the teeth
- The natural shape of the jaw
- When teeth don’t fall out naturally, but get impacted instead
As we grow older, our teeth and jaw also grow and widen. In some instances however, this doesn’t occur and the jaw and teeth become completely misaligned. This can lead to various uncomfortable situations that will need to be addressed.
Problems caused by crowded teeth
Aside from frequent injuries to the inner lining of the oral cavity, crowded teeth can also result in speech difficulties. Here’s a look at some of the issues caused by crowded teeth:
- Causes constant strain on the teeth, jaw and muscles of the mouth
- The appearance of the crooked dentition can lower your self-confidence
- It can lead to lisping when talking
- There can be chewing and biting difficulties
- Maintaining oral hygiene becomes challenging with overcrowded teeth
- It can lead to an increased risk of periodontal diseases, cavities and tooth decay
What are clear aligners?
Made of smooth, BPA-free plastic, clear aligner trays fit over the teeth like a custom-made glove. The process of using clear aligners entails creating a mold of your teeth by the orthodontist, which he then uses to create a 3D digital image. Based on this, a series of aligner trays are created which work by exerting constant gentle pressure on the teeth. Each aligner is worn for about 2 weeks and can move the teeth by as much as a quarter of a millimeter. Since clear aligners are removable and not affixed on the teeth like standard braces, you can slide them off when eating food or brushing teeth. Do remember to put them back again, as they need to be on for at least 22 hours daily for the treatment to be effective.
Clear aligners for treating overcrowded teeth
Clear aligners are an advanced orthodontic treatment used to digitally identify the right position for the teeth and reposition them back gradually. The 3D digital mapping technology used does this in a very precise manner and in comparatively shorter times. These invisible aligners make an ideal treatment option for overcrowded teeth. Here are some reasons why:
- Clear aligners are almost invisible and hold an aesthetic appeal, especially for adult patients.
- Since the aligners are customized to each patient, treatment is more comfortable.
- As aligners are removable, patients can eat whatever they want, unlike that seen with standard braces.
- It’s easier to maintain dental hygiene as the trays can be removed for brushing and flossing.
- Treatment times are shorter and more effective.
For those opting to use clear aligners for straightening their crowded teeth, check out the OrthoFX brand. Their aligners are gaining greater popularity in the market for their unique design and use of a proprietary 3-layer material. This leads to a faster and more comfortable teeth straightening journey!