(Photo | By Tosnflies Photography)
2021 was a huge year for home building and remodeling in Central Oregon. And 2022 will be no different. Home remains our sanctuary and our work space. It is where we spend our family time and our rejuvenation time. So, it makes sense that we want to create a sanctuary we love now, and down the road. Below are ten ways to build timeless function into your home.
- Discuss Passive cooling techniques with your home designer. Central Oregon is a great location with sunny winters and hot summers to get the most out of energy saving design. Energy efficient appliances, LED lighting and solar are mainstream and stylish. Save energy and be comfortable at the same time.
- Health & Wellness: Health means more to us now than ever before. Manufacturers have developed building products that promote wellness: paints that absorb odors and floors that break down toxins. In-duct air purifiers and high value filters help protect from smoke and pollutants. Air quality monitors are easy to find and affordable. Don’t forget to have your ducts cleaned after construction ends.
- Keep your home clean and organized with a butler’s pantry. This high use space not only stores your canned goods, but could also incorporate a wine fridge, mudroom, drop zone, dog wash and pet feeding area accessible and out of view.
- Outdoor Living: Enlarge your home with a covered outdoor living space complete with kitchen and firepit. Utilize shades in the summer months, and gas heaters in the colder months. Incorporate a pass-through window with bar directly to the kitchen to make entertaining a breeze.
- Technology: Tech will always be evolving. But one thing that seems to have staying power are wall outlets. Use outlets that have USB ports for both types B and C. Type C is gradually replacing the USB Type B we are all familiar with. Tuck them away beneath upper cabinets, so they don’t poke holes in your beautiful backsplash.
- Built-Ins. Customize storage as well as use space efficiently with built-in cabinets. Panel ready appliances integrate seamlessly into your kitchen cabinetry. Hide the TV and technology in a custom media cabinet with folding pocket doors.
- Work From Home: Create a dedicated space for work that is separate from the rest of your home. This could be a fully enclosed room or a small nook with barn doors. When the door is shut, the office is closed.
- Avoid Décor for the sake of décor. Filling empty shelves to look like an advertisement for a home store is not the way to go. Display objects from your travels or keepsakes that have meaning. Start a vintage art collection. Small prints or pottery from local artists is a great and affordable way to fill space, while keeping it timeless.
- Ceilings: Select lighting that focuses light upward, as well as down. This lifts the ceiling and reflects light evenly around the room. Keep your ceiling low enough that you can replace a bulb (if you ever need to thanks for LEDs long life).
- Only if you really love it: Steam showers and freestanding tubs can make a bathroom feel like a spa, but only if you use them! Use sparingly: Large scale art, wallpaper and accent walls. Only incorporate one of these if you absolutely love it and it reflects your personal style.
A timeless interior design isn’t tied to any particular decade or trend, because neither are you! By starting simple, and selecting materials and furnishings that are a reflection of your lifestyle and personality you can achieve a style that lasts.