(Hope For The Warriors Restoring Hope Scholarship recipient, Angela Boswell and family | Photo courtesy of Hope For The Warriors)
Hope For The Warriors recently handed out 13 Military Spouse and Caregiver Scholarships for higher education totaling $27,500. Thanks to a $10,000 grant from Shell MILNET, the 2019 fall semester marks the largest class of recipients since the program’s inception.
This class of winners includes Bend, Oregon resident and University of New Hampshire student, Angela Boswell. Boswell received the Restoring Hope Scholarship of $2,500, awarded to those seeking a Master of Social Work.
Hope For The Warriors is a national nonprofit that assists veterans, service members and military families with a variety of programming including clinical health and wellness, sports and recreation and transition services.
Since 2006, Hope For The Warriors has awarded Military Spouse and Caregiver Scholarships twice a year. The program recognizes and rewards post-9/11 spouses and caregivers for their strength, fidelity and resolve despite adversity as they assume critical roles in the financial well-being of their families.
With the help of these scholarships, recipients can continue their education at an accredited university, college or trade school.
The following recipients were awarded for the 2019 fall semester:
- Amanda Akers of Fort Worth, Texas Restoring Self Scholarship, University of North Texas
- Ana Barnes of Imperial Beach, California Restoring Self Scholarship, CSU San Marcos and Southwestern Community College
- Angela Boswell of Bend, Oregon Restoring Hope Scholarship, University of New Hampshire
- Melinda Brennan of Richlands, North Carolina Honorary Scholarship, Duke University
- Jacqueline Bryant of Charlotte, North Carolina New Beginnings Scholarship, Medical Billing & Coding – HIC
- Amanda Casteel of Loudon, Tennessee Restoring Self Scholarship, University of Tennessee Knoxville
- Sarah Driscoll of Milton, Massachusetts Honorary Scholarship, Antioch University New England
- Whitney Ellison of Midland, Michigan New Beginnings Scholarship, Delta Community College
- Shannon Lucas of Broken Arrow, Oklahoma Restoring Hope Scholarship, Case Western Reserve University
- Ajai Peoples of Phenix City, Alabama New Beginnings Scholarship, Columbus State University
- Jessica Power of Pembroke, Massachusetts, Honorary Scholarship, Massachusetts College of Pharmacy and Health Science
- Shaina Purser of Fort Worth, Texas Restoring Hope Scholarship, University of Southern California
- Juli West of Imperial, Pennsylvania Restoring Family Scholarship, University of Pittsburgh
“As we near our 13th anniversary, it brings us great pride to grant our largest scholarship class yet for the fall 2019 semester,” said Robin Kelleher, co-founder and president/CEO of Hope For The Warriors. “We recognize the sacrifices of the entire military family and we hope these scholarships help ease some burdens and provide strength to the recipients as they continue their education.”
Since the program’s inception, Hope For The Warriors has granted 137 Military Spouse and Caregiver Scholarships totaling $401,707.
The 2020 spring scholarship season is open now through September 30. To apply for a scholarship visit hopeforthewarriors.org/transition/military-spouse-scholarships.